ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT annual fiestas returns to Torrevieja this springtime. The Torrevieja Sevillanas Fair is scheduled to take place in the city from Wednesday 11th May and lasts all week, with celebrations concluding on the evening of Sunday 15th May 2022.
The local fair usually takes place each year, with traditional Spanish folk music, spectacular Sevillanas dancing performances, and a diverse assortment of gastronomic treats served under marquees (casetas) specially erected for the festival.
Immensely popular with the local community, events for the last two years were postponed due to the global health crisis, with the last fiesta taking place in May 2019. But just yesterday local media outlet “Información” revealed the dates for this year's celebrations.
The news agency reports that the Festival Department of Torrevieja City Council has allocated a budget of €190,592 for the contracting of the organisation, assembly of the venue, and the logistics required for the May 2022 Sevillanas Fair.
In 2019, Torrevieja City Hall spent €145,000 on the spring fair, and the increased budget for 2022 suggests that the council intends to ensure the celebrations are an overwhelming success.
Torrevieja Sevillanas Fair, Wednesday 11th May to Sunday 15th May 2022
The fair is organised by Town Hall in association with local businesses, and for previous iterations of the Torrevieja Sevillanas Fair, the Council have been keen to promote the Fiesta to both residents and visitors to the Costa Blanca destination.
The fiesta takes place in the port area and promises to fill the Mediterranean city with the sounds of traditional Sevillanas music. It's a cultural spectacle not to be missed.
Speciality food marquees are expected to return once again this year, with each of the 23 marquees serving distinctive Spanish food from the region and further afield.
The Torrevieja Sevillanas Fair takes place from Wednesday 11th May to Sunday 15th May 2022.
Calendar and Torrevieja Sevillanas Fair Itinerary for 2022
Wednesday 11th May :-
- 20:30 | Inauguration of the May 2022 Fair by the mayor of Torrevieja, Eduardo Dolón. The anthem of Torrevieja, performed by the Torrevejense Musical Union followed by an opening fireworks display
- 21:30 | School of Dance “María del Ángel”
- 22:15 | Choir of the House of Andalusia “Rafael Alberti” and “Blanca y Verde”
- 23:00 | Flamenco show
Thursday 12th May :-
- 21:00 | Municipal School of Dance
- 21:45 | Choir “Brisas del Sur” of the Andalusian Cultural Association
- 22:30 | Local choir “Alba Rociera”
- 23:30 | Performance of the musical group “Los Rebujitos”
Friday 13th May :-
- 21:00 | Lola and Arantxa Dance Centre
- 22:00 | Soul Dance Studio Dance School
- 23:30 | Performance of the musical group “Siempre Así”
Saturday 14th May :-
- 10:00 | Procession of horses in Avenida de la Estación, towards the Church of the Immaculate Conception
- 12:00 | Celebration of the traditional Rociera mass by the parish priest, a parade of horsemen and carriages to the fairgrounds, accompanied by the Torrevieja Rocieros Choirs
- 21:00 | Dance Academy “QK”
- 22:00 | Paya's dance school
- 23:00 | Flamenco group “Candela”
Sunday 15th May :-
- 12:00 | Horse and carriage rides through the fairgrounds until 17:00
- 20:30 | Tribute performance on the main stage
- 21:00 | Espectáculo de copla
- 22:30 | Performance by the Rociero Choir and closing ceremony
Looking for holiday ideas and travel inspiration? Find out more about our favourite recommended things to do on the Orihuela Costa or join the La Zenia community Facebook group and find out what´s going on in the local area.
Photo credit: LaZenia.com